Interior design is the art and science of understanding people’s behavior to create functional spaces within a building. Interior design is a multifaceted profession where meeting the aesthetic needs of a client is only one part of the job. An interior designer understands the requirements, aspirations, and goals of her clients and creates space plans that meet those requirements while ensuring that those plans are safe, functional and meet all public health, safety, and welfare requirements.
Interior decoration is a subset of the interior design field where the main focus is to create spaces that meet the aesthetic requirements of a client. As an interior decorator, the major part of the work is to understand the design sensibilities of your client and select furniture, furnishings, and decor accordingly to create a space that your clients will love.
As an interior designer, you always need to learn about the new trends and principles that are being used in the industry. A lot of interior designers share their work on various platforms to inspire others. Here are a few places you can start with to get some inspiration –
- Houzz – Houzz is the largest international community of designers. Houzz claims to have more than 16 million photos uploaded by designers across the globe. You can get ideas for any kind of design aesthetic for any room or commercial space you are designing.
- Dwell – Dwell started as a magazine focusing on interiors and architecture in 2000, and it is still going strong. Designs showcased on Dwell tend to be more modernistic in their aesthetic.
- Elle Decor – Elle Decor is one of the oldest and most well-known media names in the interior design industry. It started in 1989 and focuses on home decorations.
- Decor8 – Decor8 started as an interior focused blog in 2006 and is now a hugely popular destination for designers looking for new ideas. The blog provides design inspirations based on budgetary considerations as well.
- Travels – Inspiration for a project can come from anywhere, a coffee shop you visited, the house of a friend, a hotel or some town in a new country. So, go out and explore to get those creative juices flowing.
To bring your ideas to life, you need some tools to create the designs. It could be a pencil and paper, or you could take advantage of technology and visualize your ideas using one of the many available software in the market.
- 3ds Max – Released by Autodesk in 1988, 3ds Max is a pioneer in the CAD field. It’s a very feature-rich and deep tool that can be used to create anything in 3D. This amount of feature depth results in a steep learning curve, and time taking design process. 3ds Max also has one of the best rendering engines to create truly life-like interiors.
- Sketchup – Sketchup is a very versatile software which can also be used to create any kind of 3d objects. It has fewer features compared to 3ds Max, and has lower quality rendering, but on the upside, it is slightly easier to learn and is faster to design with.
- Infurnia – Infurnia is an online interior design software. As Infurnia is made specifically for the interior design industry, it is very easy to learn and fast. While not as feature-rich as 3ds Max, Infurnia provides most of the features you need to create beautiful interiors in a very fast and easy way. Infurnia provides online rendering as well as 3d design sharing options.
- Chief Architect – Chief Architect is another software created solely for the interior design industry. It is a desktop-based software.
As an interior designer, you need to stay up to date not only on the design trends but also on trends in design technology. So, even if you have used other tools before, or are currently using another tool, go ahead and give Infurnia a try for free, and see the difference for yourself.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. All logos/company names are registered trademarks of the respective companies and Infurnia has no associations, connections or affiliations with any of the companies mentioned on this webpage. All views written here are personal views of the writer. If you notice any infringement or copyright violations please write to us at email@example.com